These are just some examples of all the untruths reported in the article by the journalist Dan Mc Dougall.
- “Members of Addiopizzo receive constant death threats…”
MEMBERS OF ADDIOPIZZO NEVER RECEIVED ANY DEATH THREATS.
- “We don’t have the police on our side, as many of them are bought off by the Cosa Nostra”
IT’S NOT TRUE. WE ARE STRONGLY SUPPORTED BY THE POLICE, WHO WORKS WITH A HIGH PROFESSIONALISM, AND THANKS TO THEIR HELP SHOPKEEPERS ARE SATISFIED WITH WHAT WE DID FOR THEM. WE OWE THEM SO MUCH.
- “Some of our members’ homes have been sent letter bombs. Our families are threatened…”
WE NEVER RECEIVED NEITHER ANY LETTER BOMBS NOR OUR FAMILIES WERE NEVER THREATENED. WE HAVEN’T HAD ANY PROBLEM SINCE 2004.
- “Cervillera’s mission is personal. Her uncle, a police officer who refused to take mafia bribes, was killed by a car bomb. Her mother was also threatened”.
NO CERVILLERA’S UNCLE WAS KILLED BY MAFIA, AND NO UNCLE OF HERS IS A POLICEMAN, TOO. HER MOTHER WAS NEVER THREATENED.
- “Chiara Capri, 23, the owner of a fashion store, handed out leaflets.- As a businesswoman I was a victim of extortion,- she admitted. The mafia had come to her boutique and demanded £360 a month. Their threats had reduced her mother to tears. […] They threatened to kidnap my nephews on their way back from school […] She contacted the police and two of the men are being prosecuted, although the entire family still live in fear of reprisals”.
CHIARA IS JUST A YOUNG VOLOUNTEER WHO’S STUDYING MEDICINE, AND SHE AND HER FAMILY HAVEN’T ANY FASHION STORE. BESIDES, SHE HASN’T ANY NEPHEWS AND SHE AND HER FAMILY NEVER RECEIVED ANY DEATH THREATS